วันจันทร์ที่ 18 พฤษภาคม พ.ศ. 2552

Shuld i take flying lessons?

วันจันทร์ที่ 18 พฤษภาคม พ.ศ. 2552
I am 18 and living with my parents. I am bout to start full time work as college finishes in a few months. I should have quite a bit of money to spare as I do not yet have the burden of a mortgage etc... Is it worth training to be a pilot whilst i have this excess money? Can you only get a job as a pilot with a commercial rating certificate, how much does this cost?

I could afford the £5,500 it would cost to get my PPL by this time next year, but i am unsure about being able to afford to maintain it once i move out. Hence making it a career so that i get paid to fly.

I am just weighing up my options, any advice would be helpful thanks.


I'm 20 and earning my pilot license was one of the best things I've ever done. I would recommend it to anyone. To answer your question...yes, you can get a job with simply a single-engine commercial rating, however, you'll just be flying sightseeing, charter, air-taxi, etc. I'm an aerospace administration major in college and we recently had a few students receive job offers with commercial ratings and 500 flight hours (they had 10 hours of multi-engine).

As for the price, I agree with the other person. I'm from the US, but you should be able to find a better price. I did the ground school on my own and found a local flight instructor who cost significantly less than the local flight school.

Even if you don't choose to use the license for a career, I'd recommend getting it for fun. I can now go places in 3 hours that would have normally taken me 9 hours in a car. It opens up a whole new realm of opportunity for any person.

I say "Go for it!"

No.

Not until you learn to use spell check and how to punctuate.

Attention to detail is "all important" in aviation.

Indeed flying is expensive!! In the US (and I suspect it's true where you are also!), if you want to earn money as a pilot, you need a commercial license. And, (at least here in the US), it makes LOTS of sense to earn your private pilot's license, get instrument rated and then to commercial training (in that order). The Federal Aviation Regs in the US are very clear: you can't earn any money as a private pilot. Period. For me, my instrument rating cost about $5,000 and my commercial was more than double that (but that was because I generally need/want MANY more hours than is required and I was older than many commercial pilot students -- I was 45!). Don't use me as an example for that.

Now, you mentioned 5500 (pounds?) for your PPL... you may be able to shave down the cost a bit if you shop around the flight schools in your area. And, if you do the ground work on your own, that might help cut costs as well.

Of course, there are always loans, grants, scholarships, etc. that you could investigate!

If you want to fly, do your most to make it happen. Flying *is* a blast!!

If you want a career in aviation, take the lessons. I've had a career in aviation for almost 29 years now as a mechanic, inspector, corporate rep and I still only have a PPL. Understanding the aircraft's needs and the seriousness of what you do helps.....and it is a lot of fun. Take a few hours of aerobatics, too. I inspect heavy transport jets, travel the world, and the company pays for it all. I started my flying at 16.

yes you should. they are many carerrs in aviation. and if you don't make it a carerr it'll always be a skill and hobby that you can enjoy for the rest of your life.

An unqualified YES. If for no other reason, getting your pilot's license will give you a sense of satisfaction that you'll find no other place. Flying is the closest thing to magic that I've ever experienced. Regarding the practicality aspect, it's very costly and a long road, but if you invest in yourself and your training, you'll have a dream career ahead of you. As you're 18 now, with due diligence, you could be a senior captain with BA (or any of the other majors) in 15 years time. I wish I would have started down this path when I was 18.

0 ความคิดเห็น:

แสดงความคิดเห็น

 
flying lessons © 2008. Design by Pocket