วันจันทร์ที่ 18 พฤษภาคม พ.ศ. 2552

Does the Plum Island Airfield (MA) offer Flying/Piloting Lessons?

วันจันทร์ที่ 18 พฤษภาคม พ.ศ. 2552
I am a 15 year old female, looking for a place in the Essex-County area of Massachusetts - where I can get flying lessons. The closest known airfield to me - is in Plum Island. They unfortunately do not have a website for me to see if they offer lessons - so I was wondering if anybody knew of places I could get lessons. I know I can't fly solo until I'm 16, But I would love lessons (Even if I'm stuck in a Glider 'till I'm 16.)

Any suggestions? I dream of being a Navy Pilot someday - so I might as well start my future as soon as possible.

Thank you!


I am not sure if the field offers lessons or not. It does have an FBO on the field - Plum Island Aerodrome Inc. and their number is 978-463-4222. I would call there and ask.

I would like to point out though that Plum Island (2B2) is a very small airport in terms of runway length. The longest runway is 2300 ft long and turf/gravel. The asphalt runway is even shorter at 2100 ft. I am not saying you couldn't get training there, nor am I saying don't but I would recommend a field with a longer runway when you begin your training. I am a private pilot who operates out of Concord Municipal Airport in New Hampshire. I have flown into 2B2 and it is a challenge to say the least.

If you can, I would check either Beverly Municipal or Lawrence Municipal airport. Both fields are towered airports with great facilities. Any information you need on the airports can be found on airnav.com.

Good luck in starting your training and if you ever need to ask a question, don't hesitate to ask me.

Call Air Plum Island 978-462-2114 or the General Airport number 978/463-4222.

If you don't mind driving a little way, there are a LOT of choices. I flew in that area for many years. One of my personal favorites is Hampton Airfield Inc, Hampton Airport, North Hampton, NH. See http://www.hamptonairfield.com/ . It's hard to find a place more fun than that. If you choose not to train there, at least spend a half day going up there on a nice day and taking an intro flight in a Cub. You won't regret it.

By the way "being stuck in a glider" would be a good thing. Flying a glider will make you a much better pilot, and its a heck of a lot of fun. Guaranteed. That and flying a Cub at Hampton is the best possible introduction to aviation you can have.

You might also look at Daniel Webster College in Nashua if you eventually have an interest in going the university flight program route, where you can also get into an ROTC program.

Have fun.

0 ความคิดเห็น:

แสดงความคิดเห็น

 
flying lessons © 2008. Design by Pocket